Today Mary Anne, Heber and I went to Dixie College to look around. We went to the Administration Building where this huge table is. My paternal grandfather, Wilford Haskell Shurtliff designed the rock work, cut and placed the stones to make this unique table. This was done probably in the 1960's.
I'd heard about this table from my dad but it only took me 19 years of living in St. George to finally get over to actually see it. The people at the college were so gracious and gave us free rein to take pictures and spend a little time looking at it. The president of Dixie College, Dr. Stephen D. Nadauld stopped by to chat about the table with us. I had no idea who he was till we left and Mary Anne told me!
Here's a design of the state of Utah in the middle of the table made from picturestone. Heber loved the table and appreciated the craftmanship involved in making it. This table is so big and heavy there's no way to move it out of this room!
Over at another part of Dixie college, in the brand new Holland Building (named for awesome Jeffrey Holland), we saw Mary Anne's classroom on the fourth floor. She teaches low level English for those hoping to take actual college-credit English.
Just another view of Mary Anne pretending to teach in her classroom. Her room has beautiful views of the temple etc. What a fun afternoon!
This and That in September, Part 2!
2 weeks ago





2 comments:
Loved reading about your adventure!
I love it! That is an impressive table. I noticed an art piece in the last Ensign by someone with the last name of Spjut - any chance it's a relation?
Post a Comment