Poor Penny! Last week I wanted to change her dress and clean her up a bit. Every time I move her her skin paint chips and flakes off all over the place. Oh no! She is slowly but surely falling apart. My options: throw her away and put her out of her misery, box her up and put her under a bed because I can't bear to throw her away, or have her restored. I decided to surf the internet and search for a good place for Penny to have a makeover. My mom always wanted her restored but back in the day all we had was a phone book to search for places. Her sister Nancy had a friend who did museum quality restoration (back East I believe) but the expense was hard to justify I suppose. Mom for sure always wanted Penny to have her brunette hair back. That surprised me! I thought Penny was always a blonde, but no!
So, I decided to take the plunge and go for it. My only regret is that Mom isn't here to see the results, but maybe she will in spirit anyway. I hope so! I am posting these "before" pictures which I uploaded to this wonderful lady in Idaho who restores dolls. Her website is amazing!! Penny is in good hands. My mom (as a child of course!) dragged Penny around so her hands and feet sustained the most damage. All in all she is in fair shape. The doll restorer will put a new wig on, restore all painted surfaces, replace her "voicebox" so she can "cry" again, replace her missing digits, plus fix other various damages.
My good friend Jen has made Penny four beautiful dresses, so she is not wanting for clothes, but she's been barefoot all these years. The doll restorer will make her little oilcloth shoes similar to what she originally had over 80 years ago! I am so excited!! Penny arrived safe and sound in Idaho yesterday, so it's all in progress now.
Penny is a tough ol' gal. She has been around for many years and given us years of enjoyment. Now it's her turn for a little pampering and TLC. I don't know how long she will be vacationing in Idaho, but "after" pictures will be coming on this blog hopefully soon! Take care, Penny! I already miss you!
This and That in September, Part 2!
2 weeks ago
4 comments:
Penny will live again! So glad you are getting her restored to her old self, Annette. She will become a beautiful heirloom for Lisa. Bet you can't wait to see her restored to her original beauty and charm.
What a fun project and a great way to honor your heritage! Will be anxious to see the results!!
I can't wait to see how beautiful Penny will be!! I love her!
Keep us posted!
Post a Comment