
One year ago today I had my lumpectomy for breast cancer. I was so very blessed to have found this cancer while in Stage 1. I had had my yearly mammogram in December of 2006 where they found a slight little suspicious spot but recommended a 6-month follow-up, so in July of 2007 I had another mammogram. The same spot was there, so they did an ultrasound but nothing showed up. They recommended a stereotactic biopsy....or waiting another six months. I went ahead with the biopsy, just so sure it was nothing. Well of course it was something! But it was the best case scenario for actually having cancer. After my surgery I had 6 weeks of radiation (five times per week) and am now on medication (Tomoxifen) for 5 years. I consider myself extremely blessed.
I hope that everyone woman will get her routine mammograms. Because I had had them done every single year since I turned 40 the radiologist was able to see the spot before it was much of anything. God bless the mammogram machine! God bless the wonderful doctors and nurses who helped me through this bump in the road. And God bless all my family, cousins, and friends who helped me in so many many ways! God bless my sister for having gone through breast cancer the year before; she held my hand and walked me through it. Life is good!
4 comments:
Amen! I am so so so grateful for those mammograms, and for everyone who helped you get better. LOVE YOU!!!
I can't believe that was just a year ago. It was such a surreal experience. You were so strong and BUSY throughout the whole ordeal. I'm so glad you've recovered completely from it. You're such an amazing example of bravery and perseverance to me.
Love you!
This was quite a story! So glad for the wonderful outcome and hope for a long and healthy life!
I am so happy that you are okay, and that there are mammograms, surgery, and medications available today to deal with breast cancer! You are a survivor - keep spreading the word (or at least raising awareness!).
Post a Comment