Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Thoreau-ly Interesting Experience!

Tonight as I was indexing along (copying old records), I pulled up yet another sheet from the 1855 Census for Massachusetts. Instead of diving right in as usual I began perusing the names just for the heck of it and came across a Henry D. Thoreau....that name just sounded so familiar...could it be the Henry David Thoreau? I checked his age, 38 years old in 1855 and checked his birthdate on Wikipedia. It matched! I checked the name of the city, Concord, and yes, that is where he lived. I checked his parents' names and it all checked out!

Elder L. Tom Perry gave a great talk about simplfying our lives in the last General Conference. He spoke of Henry David Thoreau in the following excerpts:

"We drove to a place just a few miles from our home to get away for a few moments of relief from our troubles, talk, and give emotional comfort to each other. Our place was Walden Pond. It was a beautiful little pond surrounded by forests of trees. When my wife was feeling strong enough, we’d go for a walk around the pond. Other days, when she did not feel up to the exertion of walking, we’d just sit in the car and talk. Walden Pond was our special place to pause, reflect, and heal. Perhaps it was partly due to its history—its connection to the efforts of Henry David Thoreau to separate himself from worldliness for a period of years—that Walden Pond offered us so much hope for simplicity and provided such a renewing escape from our overly complex lives.

It was in March of 1845 that Thoreau decided to move out on the banks of Walden Pond and spend two years trying to figure out what life was all about. He settled on a piece of property owned by his good friend Ralph Waldo Emerson. He purchased an old shanty from a railroad worker, and tore it down. From the lumber from the shanty and the lumber from the woods, he constructed his own cabin. He kept meticulous financial records, and he concluded that for a home and freedom he spent a mere $28.12. He planted a garden, where he sowed peas, potatoes, corn, beans, and turnips to help sustain his simple life. He planted two and a half acres of beans with the intent of using the small profit to cover his needs. Small profit indeed: $8.71.
Thoreau lived quite independent of time. He had neither a clock nor a calendar in his little cabin. He spent his time writing and studying the beauties and wonder of nature that surrounded him, including local plants, birds, and animals. He did not live the life of a hermit—he visited the town of Concord most days, and he invited others to come into his cabin for enlightening conversations. When the two years ended, he left his cabin behind without regret. He considered the time he had spent there a proper amount of time to accomplish his purpose—to experience the spiritual benefits of a simplified lifestyle. He also felt he had other life experiences ahead of him. It was time to move on and explore other opportunities.

From his experiences at Walden Pond, Thoreau determined that there were only four things that a man really needed: food, clothing, shelter, and fuel.

Just before Thoreau died, he was asked if he had made peace with God. He replied, “I was not aware we had ever quarreled” (in Mardy Grothe, comp., Viva la Repartee [2005], 181).

In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test—to return and live with our Heavenly Father—is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

4 comments:

Hope said...

Honest, I am not haunting your blog - just in the right place at the right time to see it two minutes after it gets posted

Which seems to have happened to you also! How cool! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

That is awesome. I wish I could spend a few hours at Walden Pond, it looks so peaceful! And not a toddler in sight.

Carol T said...

Hi Annette!
Its Carol (Baily) Taylor
I love your message.
I just started my Blog.
I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.
Merry Christmas
http://carolandgreg.blogspot.com/

Carol T said...

Annette,
So glad to hear you are doing well. I was worried about you when I didnt hear from you this Christmas. I cant believe the snow you got in St. George. Greg's parents still live there,we haven't been there for a few years.
We are all well, just busy. I would love to see some pictures from the good old days!
Carol