Yes, this holiday has definitely lost some of it's excitement over the years...we still celebrate, but stay home instead of fighting traffic and restaurant crowds. We finally discovered that the new year still comes even if we are asleep at midnight...what a great discovery! It's getting close to midnight now and I can barely keep my eyes open. We did a little celebrating...we made shrimp, scallop and vegetable tempura and then watched an episode of Freaks and Geeks, one of my favorite TV shows. Not exactly party animals but it was nice and relaxing. (Give me a break, I had to work all day!)
New Year's Day 42 years ago. We went to go see the floats after the parade was over...that's me and our neighbor David Hall. The Rose Parade permeates many memories over the years...sleeping at the Pasadena City College Institute building on New Year's Eve (for front row seats of the parade the next morning), selling Rose Parade Programs for many years at various float building sites to help our ward budget, driving along Colorado Boulevard on New Year's Eve just to people watch.
A nice tradition: Heber and I still kiss at midnight (it's midnight somewhere...) and hope for a wonderful new year full of possibilities and future sweet memories.
4 comments:
Great post! Yeah, the tempura was awesome, but I too wasn't feeling (literally) super jazzed. Watching Freaks and Geeks was way fun though.
Cool! I've never seen that picture before. Aw, I like your tradition. How sweet!
I love our New Years tradition, Annette, almost as much as I love you.
Heber
Sounds like a good new year's! Our boys both stayed up past midnight- we could not believe it. And Clayton still woke up at 7:00. Crazy kids.
Wait a minute, you were ASLEEP at midnight!? Then it IS still 2008.... ARGH!!
I'm happy enough now to celebrate the new year when it's midnight in New York (9 p.m. here) or Germany (6 p.m.).
Love the photo. I have lots of memories of the Rose Parade also - burning my lip every year on the hot chocolate they would sell, falling asleep during the actual parade - and didn't we ride the horses up once or twice to the Rose Bowl on New Years Day?
Happy New Year to all!
Post a Comment