Friday, June 11, 2010

Reptile Gardens!

We went to Reptile Gardens and loved it! The landscaping was beautiful, the animal displays were awesome and we saw 2 fun shows. I'm amazed at all the fun family stuff to do there is around Rapid City.

Brian, Andrew and Clayton in the aviary...all the orchids are real and totally beautiful!

Clayton by the fish pond.

Heber got a little too close to the big snake.

One of the ingenious things they had there was this sand area with shovels, buckets and rakes for the little ones. Clayton could have spent all day here!

During the snake show the boys (in orange shirts behind the glass) look at a rattlesnake! The show was informative and fun! (Did you know the largest Diamondback Rattlesnake is 8 feet long? wow!)

Here is the snake handler letting Brian feel a big albino python. We also saw the alligator/crocodile show...very exciting!

Andrew and the boys looking for fun. They are wearing the junior ranger hats I bought them at Custer State Park. They have a komodo dragon here, a prairie dog town, along with tons of other wonderful exhibits. I could have spent the entire day here.

Dory gets to pet the very big tortoise while he eats. Their largest tortoise will be 129 years old this month! That means he was born in 1881....another WOW!

The boys got to try mining for treasures using the sluice method. Clayton found arrowheads and Brian found pretty gemstones. All in all a very fun day.

3 comments:

Hope said...

Wait a minute, I have a diamondback living in my back yard that has got to be at LEAST nine feet.

What a fun place to take your grandkids!

(And again, YOU look great!)

Mary Anne said...

Wow! What a super-fun place. It really seems like it was made for the boys, but I think anybody would have tons of good times there too.

Dad, so good to see your hair! I was starting to wonder if you'd gone randomly-bald. ; ]

Excited to see you guys! Have a safe flight!! Love ya'll much!!

Jen said...

How very fun! I love the shot of Heber getting a "Squeeze". I can't believe how big Dory is. I saw the boys when they were here last but not Dory. How sweet they all are!