Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Kitschy Kitchen Collection

Some people collect Faberge Eggs, some people collect antique cars, but I collect souvenir state plates. Don't ask me why, but I absolutley love them! I love kitsch and retro things. My first plate (long gone) was a California plate my sister bought for me when I went up to BYU to remind me of my home state in a silly way. I hung it in my apartment and loved it.
My daughter Lisa, an avid yard sale queen, is always on the lookout for various plates, especially those that represent states she has lived in or will live in, or anything that looks especially funky.
The plate above is special for two reasons: I have always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore, and Lisa and her family will be moving to South Dakota this year and will be stationed right near the monument. I will get to Mt. Rushmore after all!!
Here are two plates from Knott's Berry Farm...the Knott's Berry Farm I remember. There was no admission fee, very few rides and it was very laid back. I loved it there. Most of my plates are from the 50's and 60's.
Below are two plates from Arizona. The one on the left is handpainted. I have a Nevada plate which shows Vegas as it was decades ago, a little town with a few casinos.
One of my favorite plates (the picture didn't turn out) is of Lake Tahoe and Emerald Bay. Lisa picked it up at a yard sale...I love it because it's from the 60's....our family went to Lake Tahoe (we always rented cabins at Emerald Bay!) almost every year. Very nostalgic. The great thing about collecting these plates is that most people think they're ugly so they are very cheap! What do you collect?

6 comments:

Hope said...

Oh my goodness, I wish I'd know about your collection when I lived in Kansas, Michigan, Oregon, Hawaii and Maryland!

Harmony, you begin looking for Hawaiian plates for Annette, okay? ;-)

Lisa said...

They look great! I am still on the lookout for more, of course.

Janis said...

What a great idea for collecting and what great memories too! We've started collecting trivets.

Amanda said...

I collect Pez dispensers. They are always coming out with new ones so it's an endless collection. I've also started a shot glass collection for places I travel and visit. Mainly because they are small and fit in the suitcase nicely. But I love the plate collection. I LOVE collections they are so fascinating. The sentimant is what makes the plates beautiful!

Mary Anne said...

I think the plates are great. Everybody can see them and I think they have a nice retro feel.

Good luck with the collecting!

Anonymous said...

Honey, I like all your goofy and cute state plates. They are a heck of a lot prettier than liscence plates and it been fun fixing up our home how we want it to look, the heck with what others may think!
H