Thursday, November 6, 2008

Penny For Your Thoughts

Meet Penny! This wonderful doll was my mom's when she was a little girl. She had one and her sister Inez had one. My mom kept it and even let my sister Mary Anne and I play with her a lot when we were little. Now she has a special place in my front room on an antique children's chair where she watches all the goings on.

Here's a picture of my grandparents, Linnea and Swen Spjut beside their home in Salt Lake City in about 1932. That's my mom, Doris Elaine Spjut, on the left front row shading her eyes, with Penny sitting in front of her. Next to her is her sister Inez with her doll standing in front of her. Next is Harlan and then Phil. Mom says they had very few toys and these dolls were treasured.

My grandpa (whom I always called Papa) standing in front of their little garage on Roberta Street, holding the two dolls. This picture was taken in 1930.

Penny was well-loved and well-played-with! She shows her wear and tear (and she originally had a brunette wig), but I love her dearly still. My friend Jen made this beautiful Victorian-style dress for her.

8 comments:

Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Annette, I love your new format for your site, almost as much as I love you! You will always be my only living doll!!
Heber

Mary Anne said...

What an amazing family heirloom. I love all the history and love behind this doll. I think it's amazing that Penny's in such good shape. Also, it's so neat that you can share photos of Penny from 74 years ago. It's cool to see your grandparents and mine in these photos.

Also, did your Morfar ever sing this?

I reckon we're in love,
And married we'll be,
And all for a penny--
A bright copper penny,
The penny that brought you to me.

Kathy said...

You are so lucky to have such a treasure! Our Mom wished she had kept her doll, and so do we, just to own something that she had as a child. I love the picture of Papa holding them!!

Lisa said...

I remember seeing Penny at Grandma's house when I was little. I love the dress!

Hope said...

This doll is so cool! There are so few material things we can pass on through even one generation. I have to count on my kids having a lot of nightmares... er, memories to pass on.

Janis said...

Thanks for sharing about the doll and especially for posting the photos. What a treasure! Just like you!

r and g white said...

Hi Annette, I put you blogspot on mine, so hopefully we can stay in touch. Yours is fun to read and great memories. The dools are wonderful! Gay Lyn