2139 Roberta St.
When life slows down and I'm in a thoughtful mood, I love to mentally tour Grandma and Papa's little home on 2139 Roberta St. in Salt Lake City. When visiting I would sleep in the room in the basement...I can see the dark green pattern of the art deco curtains, see the grass above me through the little windows and hear the comforting creak creak creaking of the adults walking upstairs through the cozy kitchen and down the basement wooden stairs. The picture above is one of my favorites: Karin, Linnea, and Rose. It stood in a frame on the dresser in the basement alongside Grandma's beautiful brush and comb set. There were other photos of Grandma and Papa's children hanging on the wall and sometimes little works of art from various grandkids. The floor was concrete painted red and there was no light switch...you had to partially screw in and out a light bulb. I loved it all! Waking up in the morning excited to be where I was! Running up those happy wooden stairs for a breakfast of homemade Swedish coffebread and Ovaltine.Everything seems so high tech now and vacations need to be more luxurious and more expensive to be worthwhile (according to some). Just give me one day back in the 1960's in my Grandmother's house. That's all I need.
4 comments:
I remember going with you to your grandparents' home and it reminds me a lot of my grandparents' home in Brigham City. The single story brick rambler type with the awnings over the windows. I can't believe that Granmere would have us all stay their when we would come down. We must have been sleeping wall to wall kids! I love these old photos too!
My grandmother's apartment above a garage in Highland Park - wow, now you have me walking down my memory lane there!
Thanks for sharing.
Love the entry! I sure hope you write a short story/journal entry in great detail about this. I think it's beautiful how you can easily recall just how the room looked, the sounds and such.
The red floor, the dark green curtains, the creaking of the adults staying up past my bed time....happy, happy memories!! I also experienced my very first snowfall at that house during an early October visit. It was a miracle to this California girl. Did you play on the backporch stairs, too? Such a happy place, and so simple and calm, too.
Post a Comment